Re: SU

To: bunce@alma.edu (Mark A. Bunce)
Subject: Re: SU
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:19:47 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Mark,

I'm a big fan of the SU and I've rebuilt two sets so far... I'll be starting on
set #3
soon....

..my best piece of advice is that first of all, LBC's are meant to have at
least two
carbs under the bonnet ( it's like martini's - one's not enough, three's too
many --
on a 4cyl at least...and, like martini's, if two doesn't do it for 'ya --
they're just
not big enough!)

Make sure that you don't do just a cheap and cheerful rebuild...replace the
throttle
spindles or get a good machine shop to do it for you. On later SU's, make sure
the
pressed steel levers are a good tight fit on the spindles or you'll have a
%$@#% time
tring to get them to idle or sync....set the float level carefully...if the
float flops
around on the shaft the set level won't be accurate. Polish the ouside of the
dashpots
while the carb is apart-- they'll LOOK faster....

...have fun!
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate
Princeton University Press