Re: A vs. J-type

To: turner@turner.se, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A vs. J-type
From: McGaheyRx <McGaheyRx@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:40:36 EST
In a message dated 97-12-16 05:45:50 EST, turner@turner.se writes:

<< 'd like to put on the A-type because you get O/D on 2nd gear. However,
 I know the A-type is far more expensive and scarce than the J-type.

 On the other hand, I've heard that in theory, an overdrive unit can work
 on all gears. Can the J-type be converted to function reliably on 2nd?

Hello Adam
I've been told the lower gears will function with either overdirve but
were locked out to prevent undue wear on the OD cone clutch
i.e at lower speed there is not enough oil pressure in the overdrive to
smartly engage the cone clutch and 1st gear, then later 1st and 2nd gear
were locked out to prevent this from occurring. So the question becomes
was the A-overdrive cone clutch okay with 2nd gear engagement and the
J-overdirve wasn't or did Triumph learn from the A-od that 2nd gear
engagement was a bad idea.  ??
Another question involves whether you will put an A-overdrive on your
74 gearbox or will you find an A-od still attached to its gearbox and
install it with the earlier gearbox. (i think some of the gear ratios are
slightly different ??)
Another thing you will need to consider: mounting brackets on the frame
for the gearbox/od changed in 73 - a J-od will bolt right on to your 74 frame
but an A-od will require some adaptation.
Hope this helps and hope someone else will answer the questions i rasied !
Cheers !
Jack Mc
73 TR6 CF870U  (J-overdrive going in when i put it back together)