Re: A vs. J-type

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: A vs. J-type
From: ybullet@flash.net (Steve L. Toth)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 18:13:31 -0600
>Irv Korey wrote:
>

>I put an A type in my 74 in 1985. It was a simple replacementand is GREAT.
>The overdrive works in 2nd gear as well as 3rd and 4th, but I seldom have
>the need to us overdrive in other than 4th. I see no advantage in street
>driving to use overdrive in 2nd, unless you just like to show off. ;-)

   Hey Irv!

   Are you talking about me again?

   After installing my first OD trans into "The Yellow Bullet" in 1992, I
hooked it up the same way.  I had OD in all forward gears, although I
didn't use it in 1st gear.  I installed a switch on the side of the shifter
knob so that I could shift in and out of OD quickly.  I would run first
gear up to whatever, 5000rpm or so, shift to 2nd gear, wind that up to
whatever, click the switch into OD, and run that up, then, while shifting
to third, I would click the switch to disengage the OD, while at the same
time shifting into 3rd.

   It worked very well between second and third because normally, the rpms would
drop from 5000 in 2nd to about 3500 in 3rd and I would be at the low end of
the power curve of my camshaft.  When using the switch, the rpms would drop
only about 500 to 700.

   Everything worked well for about 6 months or so until I realized that the
fluid passage hole or ports were not designed for this purpose and I turned the
OD unit into mush.  An expensive lesson, but it was fun while it lasted.

   It was recommended that I use an "A" type for this purpose.  Since this
type of OD is difficult to find and expensive to rebuild, I chose to keep
the "J" type and tone down the driving style a little bit.

                        Later,

                                                Steve