Re: concerns about LBC interest

To: "James W. Brock" <brockj@muohio.edu>
Subject: Re: concerns about LBC interest
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:17:09 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
James W. Brock wrote:

> I think one of the most offensive aspects of LBC gatherings is the
> sophomoric urge to have awards, votes and trophies.  As far as I can tell,
> it's destructive, and only brings out the worst in folks -- envy, jealousy,
> arrogance, megalomania, and massive efforts to throw votes and outcomes
> which would embarass the most corrupt politician.  Humourous awards, fine,
> but ditch the "serious" stuff:  I thought the idea was to have fun, concoct
> a reason to drive British cars,  and create an opportunity to meet other
> people who have similar interests -- objectives which trophies undermine
> and overshadow. Jim, I grow more like that at every show, can you think of
>anything any
more insulting than "BEST OF SHOW". What you are telling the other
hobbiest if is not concourse then leave it home, my daddy has a better
car than yours. I was at a show this summer and a gent next to me let me
know very quickly he always gets first or "BEST OF SHOW", my only reply
was why bother to come? I enjoy the car shows and people but the judging
has gone by the way side, flea markets are just great, I would not miss
one.