Re: The LOS Award (was Re: young, younger, youngest?)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: The LOS Award (was Re: young, younger, youngest?)
From: Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 01:50:28 -0600
Cc: John McEwen <mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, John McEwen wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew:
> >
> > Did you ever think that you may have created a whole new category -
> LOS,
> > Length of Suffering.  What's even more significant is that this is
> SOL
> > backwards.  Does that sum us up?
>
> Very nicely, yes.
>
> > I think that the LOS annual award should be instituted for the SOLer
> who
> > has shown the greatest LOS based on the difference between his/her
> age at
> > purchase and the age of the LBC, plus the length of time he has
> owned the
> > vehicle. An appropriate formula might be:
> >
> > Chronological Age (CA) minus Vehicle Age (VA) plus Years Owned (YO)
> = LOS
> >
> > Therefore:   CA - VA + YO = LOS
>
> Goodness knows I'm no mathematician, but how about reversing the
> formula
> somewhat, i.e. subtracting the owner's age at time of purchase from
> the
> age of the car at time of purchase. Otherwise, the formula could
> actually
> penalize those of us who own cars older than ourselves. Case in point:
> Priscilla, the mighty 1952 Triumph Mayflower, is about one year OLDER
> than
> I. And I'll wager that similar situations might well exist amongst the
> ranks of sidescreen TR owners on the list and even some of you crazy
> young whippersnappers with your Spitfires. ;-)
>
> > I am quite sure that this will generate a completely meaningless
> number but
> > whoever gets the biggest one will win the "Smokefree Lucas Component
> > Award".
>
> Also, how will one factor in multiple car ownership -- those of us
> with,
> say, four or more (or twelve or more) Triumphs? Do we take an average,
> calculated LOS number or must we choose one and only one car on which
> base our final figure? Or do those of us with more than one Triumph
> automatically get placed in a special category?
>
> --Andy
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
No Andy,

Those who own 12 or more will receive one free visit to the caraholics
anonymous meeting nearest them.  And one resounding ,"Are you nuts?".
There must be some serious masochistic tendencies related to these rare
individuals.;-)

But, who among us wouldn't have as many as we could, if money and space
didn't hamper us?
Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4 (The oldest in my fleet)
Houston