Re: Spit rear road spring

To: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Spit rear road spring
From: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 16:54:51 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ed,

On later 1500 Spits, it makes no difference which side of the spring
faces forward. As a matter of fact, when the car starts taking on a list
to port, the spring can be turned end-for-end to add to it's useable
life. And, even with a new spring, depending on driver's initial weight
and number of beers they consumed during a Spitfire's ownership, lean
can come on quickly.

On the early Mk I, and maybe the Mk II, there was a difference in the
way the spring went on. I believe the chamfered edge went forward. Years
ago I heard the reason, but I'll be danged if I can remember it
now--something about clearance, or the way it attached to the diff.

Andy Mace, are you listening?

Charlie B.