Re: Spit rear road spring

To: "Charlie B." <cb1500@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Spit rear road spring
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:16:07 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Charlie B. wrote:

> Ed,
>
> On later 1500 Spits, it makes no difference which side of the spring
> faces forward. As a matter of fact, when the car starts taking on a list
> to port, the spring can be turned end-for-end to add to it's useable
> life. And, even with a new spring, depending on driver's initial weight
> and number of beers they consumed during a Spitfire's ownership, lean
> can come on quickly.
>
> On the early Mk I, and maybe the Mk II, there was a difference in the
> way the spring went on. I believe the chamfered edge went forward. Years
> ago I heard the reason, but I'll be danged if I can remember it
> now--something about clearance, or the way it attached to the diff.
>
> Andy Mace, are you listening?

I'm listening, but I don't think I can shed too much more light here. I
checked several factory workshop manuals, and (regarding the earlier
spring) they all say something to the effect of "...the spring is marked
FRONT for correct location." No further explanation is given.

Similarly, the Bentley manual for Spitfire 1968-74 only mentions that one
or several clips are marked FRONT, and that the machined (? not sure, *I
should have written this down*) edge of the MAIN SPRING would face the
REAR(?). That would lead me to suspect that, if there was any particular
significance to the spring facing one way or the other, that it is only
the main leaf of the swing-spring that might originally have been intended
for a certain orientation.

Beyond all that, it appears to me that these springs are pretty much
symmetrical!?

--Andy (gee, he's a big help, huh?)