Re: Spit rear road spring

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Spit rear road spring
From: Edward Hamilton <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:55:19 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> Edward Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > In removing the road spring for general cleaning and overhaul I find
> > that it had been in the vehicle backwards (according to the Haynes
> > manual).  The manual states that the machined edge of the main spring
> > should face the rear of the vehicle.  Is there really a front/back to
> > this spring?  -- visually, I cannot determine any difference.  Is the
> > general opinion that I install it the way that it came out (worked fine)
> > or reverse it in accordance to the manual?  If I reverse it now, what
> > will that do to the camber or wheel alignment -- if anything?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ed Hamilton
>
> I talked with my LBC shop about this very thing before I replaced my Spitfire
>rear
> spring.  We both agreed that there was just no way to tell which side was
>front, except
> to install it with the leaf clamps facing the same way on the old and new
>spring.
> Geometrically, I can't see what difference it makes, anyway.  Incidentally,
>you can take
> the spring out, spin it around, and still get the car listing to port.  Go
>figure.  An
> air shock conversion can help alleviate this somewhat.  See Charlie Brown's
>conversion
> in the maintenance section of [www.vtr.org]...
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 74 Spitfire
> 73 GT6

  Martin,
I appreciate your response -- nice to know its not just me.  On a 1500, you can
tell the
difference between the front/rear of the spring.  There is a machined edge at
the center of
the main leaf (the one with the bushings).  This machined or flat spot, at the
center of the
leaf, denotes the front.  I agree with you, there seems to be no geometric
difference in the
spring.  I've made measurements from center point left and center point right
-- all is the
same.  The spring I removed was backwards.  The car, meanwhile, sat level and
seemed to
handle properly; although I only have a few hundred miles behind the wheel of
it.  Now, if
your right, and turning the spring over will cause it to list (port or
starboard), then I
suppose I should replace the spring as it
was -- backwards.  I would break into tears if I spun the spring around,
properly, put it
all back together only to find it lopsided.  I don't need the practice of
taking it out
again.

Regards,
Ed Hamilton