Re: magnesium wheels?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: magnesium wheels?
From: PKal <PKal@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 19:56:04 EST
In a message dated 97-12-23 13:24:32 EST, hapkejs@cig.mot.com writes:

<< You could try to burn them. If they burn brightly, and melt a hole in your
 driveway, then they are magnesium.  If they just melt then they are aluminum.
 You will need to get them really hot, so try a Oxy/Acetylene torch.... >>

Doesn't aluminum burn very hot also?  Didn't the USS Stark get hit by an
Exocet missile (another British export - LBM - Little British Missile) and
have its aluminum superstructure set on fire. Damage control had a lot of
trouble putting the fire out since it was burning so hot.

I could be wrong about the details but I guess the lesson to take away is not
to get hit by a missile if you make your ductwork out of aluminum :-)