Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: bharris <harris88@rochester.infi.net>
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 22:15:45 -0800
Cc: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

bharris wrote:

> Joe,
>     I'm not sure for how long,but the later spits used a resistor wire
> and a 6 volt coil. The resistor wire was bypassed during crankover to
> give hotter spark/quick start. If you change to a Lucas Sport coil(or
> similar) you must feed the coil with a different switched 12v lead.
> A Sport coil will work if you swap with a stock without changing any
> wireing,but unless you are replacing a dead coil you will hurt the
> performance of your ignition system.(ask how I know)

Bob,
You (of course) are correct.  I keep forgetting that the '75 Spit I parted
out is different from most 1500 North American cars.  It has a Delco
Distributor (no ballast wire) and a Mechanical Tach.  It seems that most
of the 1500s were fitted with the 6v. coli and ballast resistive wire that
you describe.

The installation of the Crane electronic ignition system is different for
the two types.

Makes one wonder, "What were those Brits thinking by putting so many
different adaptations into the series?"

Joe Curry