Re: spitfire coil info needed

To: HMENTZEN <HMENTZEN@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spitfire coil info needed
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 22:41:20 -0500
Cc: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
At 08:21 PM 12/26/97 EST, HMENTZEN wrote:
>I have a 79 Spitfire with a Crane electronic ingition. I would like some
>advice regarding replacing ( upgrading) the coil. Should I get a Crane
coil?
>They offer 3, again which one ? Should I consider the Lucas Sport coil? I'm
>looking for a coil that is a straight swap . Is the 79 ballasted? So many
>questions that the list has probably answered before. Thanks i advance for
any
>and all info
>
>Hans Mentzen
>79 Spitfire
>81 Goldwing

Hi Hans,

Which Crane system are you using? The XR700 is made for the original 6V
(ballasted) coil. The XR3000 is made for a 12V coil like the Lucas Sport.

The '79 Spitfire has a resistor wire rather than a ballast resistor.   If
you go to the Sport Coil you must run your own wire to the coil.

FYI I'm using the Crane PS20 coil (6V).   No problems so far. That was a
direct swap for the old original Lucas coil.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA
"There are three types of people in this world:
those that are good with numbers, and those that aren't."