Re: LBC Quiz

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: LBC Quiz
From: "John T. Nichols" <jtnichol@m4.sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 19:48:13 -0500
dstauffa@csc.com wrote:

> I need the list assistance in answering the following questions:
>
>    I've been told there are over 20 British car marques currently in
>    production.  What are the names of these marques?  These are production
>    car manufacturers, not kit cars or one-off cars.

Here are some for your consideration (you didn't define 'production car'
so I assumed manufacturers of cars for sale to the general public but
not necessarily en masse):
        Rover(part of BMW), Land Rover(part of BMW), Range Rover(part of Land
Rover/BMW), MG(part of Rover/BMW), TVR, Marcos, Jaguar(part of Ford),
Aston-Martin(part of Ford), Daimler(part of Jaguar/Ford), Morgan, AC,
Vauxhall(part of GM), Caterham(they do provide finished cars), Mini
including       Mini Cooper(part of Rover/BMW), Ford, Reliant, Rolls-Royce,
Bentley(part of         Rolls-Royce), Lotus, Bristol, McLaren, Westfield(they
do provide finished cars).

>    Which is the largest wholly-owned British marque?

     In terms of production numbers per year: TVR.

>    There are over 12 British based production racing car or racing engine
>    manufacturers.  Who are they?  These people primary business in building
>    race cars or engines.  I can think of Williams - as in F1, McLaren,
>    Cotsworth and maybe Eddie Jordan(?).

Here are some for your consideration (car builders first) (again you
didn't define "production" or class of racing so I have limited it to F1
and Indy Cars):
        Williams, Jordan, TWR/Arrows, McLaren, Benetton, Ferrari(engineering
department is in south England  but has announced plans to remove to
Italy), March, Lola, Reynard, Penske(US money but designed and  built in
UK), Stewart, Tyrrell(soon to   be BAT(1999)), Swift.
There are many other car builders in other classes. Most notably:
Scarab, Spice, Ralt, Lyncar.

        Cosworth(associated with Ford), Ilmor(associated with Mercedes-Benz
(both the Mclaren F1 and CART   Mercedes engines are by Ilmor) and
formerly with Chevrolet (the Indy Chevy engines are really      Ilmors)),
Mugen(Honda financed but UK based).

There is a very good short article on the concentration of auto racing
manufacturers and developers in England in "In Pole Position? Untraded
interdependencies, new industrial spaces and the British Motor Sport
Industry", Area, vol. 28, no. 1, March 1996, pp.25-36.

John T. Nichols
'59 TR3A TS32093L 'O'
'86 TVR 280i