Re: carb. adjustments

To: RVincenti@lbfc.com
Subject: Re: carb. adjustments
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 11:31:13 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Comments: Authenticated sender is <Brad.Kahler@pop.141.com>
Hi Lew,

I 2nd Ross's thoughts on using the Unisync.  I have one and at idle
the little doohickie hardly moves off the bottom.  Can't tell a thing
unless you have higher rpms.  Then trying to hold the exact same rpm
while switching back and forth between carbs is a pain.  I prefer the
sound that you hear plus looking at the carb pistons and seeing if
they are generally about the same height.  If you want to borrow a
unisync I'll loan you mine.

>      Can someone please tell me where i can get the colour (color?)
>      tune spark plug for tuning carbs. Also, where can i get one of
>      the airflow doohickies that measures the airflow into the carb.
>         thanks once again,
>      Lew 63 (getting exhaust today!) and 67 spits
>
>      =================
>      Lew - I don't want to sound like a throwback to ancient times,
>      but have you tried to balance them by using your ears and
>      listening?  I have tried the Unisync on my 64 Spitfire's twin
>      SUs and was not satisfied with the results.
>
>      Someone on the list a long time ago discussed the technique to
>      balance twin SUs with a length of rubber tubing (and the SU
>      Rebuild book I bought from Classic Autobooks describes it too).
>       I ended up following the list member's recommendations and was
>      very surprised at how well it works.  You need a pretty
>      sensitive ear, and a lot of patience, but they were right on
>      the money when I finished.
>
>      May I be so bold as to make a suggestion?  Before you spend the
>      money on a Unisync or other flow measuring/balancing device,
>      try the old rubber tubing method first.  Once you have the
>      carbs as close as you think you can get them, borrower
>      someone's Unisync, stick it against the carbs and see how far
>      off you were.  I would be willing to bet that you can get them
>      awfully damn close if not perfect without the balancing
>      devices.  My $.02 worth.
>
>      Ross D. Vincenti
>      64 Spitfire 4
>      64 Porsche 356C Coupe

Brad

1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (After 10 years will be on the road in
March!!!)
1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Needs Restoration)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Boxes & Boxes of parts right now)