[Top] [All Lists]

Re: That stuff.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: That stuff.
From: John Gillis <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:05:23 +0000
>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:00:43 +0000
>From: John Gillis <>
>Subject: Re: That stuff.
>>On Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:24:04 -0400
>>Bill Kelly <>
>>wrote: What IS that stuff???
>>I'm finally getting to the trim in my almost restored Herald 1200
>>It's a Mark 1, GA41328LCV. My question concerns the finishing pieces
>>that run along the tops of the rear seat side panels. Each side has 3
>>pieces, a 1 1/2 foot long channel,a short bent piece of channel that
>>curves around the front of the hood well, and stamping at the very front
>>outside. They're covered in some kind of faux vinyl. At one time it was
>>white. It has a textured surface, the same texture, more or less, as all
>>the vinyl in the car. It's very thin, maybe 1/64", and it's TOUGH AS
>>NAILS. And it looks like %^!%.
>>My question (see subject line) is What IS it? Does anybody know what
>>this coating is made of, and how they textured it? My other question is,
>>can anybody provide any tips on restoring these trim pieces? I'm
>>thinking of getting a sheet of white vinyl and wrapping and gluing it to
>>the metal, but I'd appreciate responses from anybody who's had success,
>>or failure, restoring them.
>>Bill Kelly
>>'62 Herald
>>'68 TR250
> Bill,
> There is a product from Eastwoods. They sell it as a plastic coating for
>tool handles. It comes in  range of colours and although the finish would
>not have a grained finish it would at least be tough, thick and the same
>colour. It is simple to use you just dip the part into the solution take
>it out and let it dry. I thought of this for a friends Vitesse but he has
>not tried it yet, let me know how you get on.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • That stuff., GuyotLeonF
    • Re: That stuff., John Gillis <=