Spitfire: Headlamp Problem

To: Spitfires Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Spitfire-Enthusiast Mail List <spitfire-enthusiast@makelist.com>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire: Headlamp Problem
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 10:51:58 -0500
Hi Lists,

   I'm having trouble isolating this problem with my headlamps. The
problem is this: I have working "dipped" beams but my "main" beams are
inoperative.  Everything works as expected except when my main light
switch is on and the dimmer is fully forward, the headlights do not
work. Pulling the dimmer toward me, the blue warning light and the
dipped beams come on.

   Some things I've done so far have been to rebuild the dimmer switch
on the steering column, service the main light switch and the most
important, to replace the headlamps with the proper 2 beam lamps.
Somewhere along the line, a PO had installed single-beam lamps. Perhaps
because of this problem.  I've checked wiring to the bonnet/headlamp
area and corrected some wiring there. The Blue/White wire was going to
the Blue/Red leads to the headlamps and the Blue/Red wires were not
connected. Also, I have no front parking lights installed, so those
wires were not connected to anything. I've also checked most, if not all
wiring connectors.

   The only I have not checked is the fuse box connections. I'm doing
that today. But if that proves fruitless, what else could it be???

Going nuts,

Vic M.
--
Victor Michael                     |           vmichael@tibco.com
Systems Engineer                   |         Voice (312) 214-2327