RE: ersatz turbo.

To: "'Trevor Jordan'" <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Subject: RE: ersatz turbo.
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 10:46:41 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Trevor,

First, I would think this would be pretty inefficient.  You would be converting
kinetic energy to electric, then back to kinetic.  Each change would have
significant losses, so your engine would be expending more power to drive the
supercharger than on a normal setup.

Second, you would also need to control compressor speed to parrallel engine
speed or else boost at idle would very high, while boost at redline would be
almost nonexistant (probably about opposite of what you want).  Then again, if
set up with a map sensor it could certainly give some flexibility, say little
or no boost during "normal" driving, and moderate boost for "spirited" driving,
and high boost for autocross/race driving.

Anyway, having considered an inline turbine fan in a ram air type system (blow
through supercharging) for some time, these are my excuses for not trying it.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!