Re: TR3 start prob

To: paulpop@ssnet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 start prob
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:03:30 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-01 15:20:37 EDT, paulpop@ssnet.com writes:

> Without a jump I just get the clicking sounds ... with
>  a jump, the only thing that happens is that the engine turns over about
>  twice and then goes dead.  Any clues?

Paul,

Try this: When you jumper, instead of connecting the hot lead from the jumper
battery hot lead to your battery hot lead, connect it to the cable at the back
of the solenoid that goes down to the starter. If the engine spins over with
no problem when you make the connection, then you have a wiring or a solenoid
problem; if not, then you have a bad starter.

To see if it is the solenoid, use the jumper battery as you have been
(connected to the battery posts), but instead of using the key to start, use a
short jumper on the solenoid. Connect one end of the jumper to the solenoid
terminal with the cable from the battery, and the other end to the terminal
with the white/red wire. If the engine spins OK, then you have a wiring
problem; if not, then the solenoid is bad.

If it is the wiring, the next step is to jumper the white/red and the white
wires together at the back of the starter switch, using a good battery. If the
engine spins OK, then you have a bad starter switch; if not, you either have a
bad connection or a break in the white/red wire, or you are getting no power
to the white wire. You can use a test lamp to trace the circuits till you find
the problem.

Of course, before you start any of this trouble shooting, make sure that all
of your connections are clean, all terminals are tight, and all the wiring is
in good condition.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74