Re: Re: Black paint on the back of TR 6's

To: lgmtr6@JUNO.COM, owner-triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, sugar@holly.colostate.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Black paint on the back of TR 6's
From: JLZ69TR6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 23:10:07 EDT
Cc: rdowty@iso.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

In a message dated 9/3/98 1:37:21 PM, lgmtr6@juno.com wrote:

<<On Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:56:13 -0600 Aaron Johnson
<sugar@holly.colostate.edu> writes:

>All years have the black paint on the rear valance.  It is a nice
>satin
>black....

 I hate to be a pain, but the above is not really true.

The early 1969 cars had valances painted in body color, as well as
painted windscreen frames. You can also tell an early car by the fact
that there was fender welting (like the MGB has on the front fenders) on
the rear fenders, that runs from the back of the cockpit to the trunk
area.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald

Hi Larry,
I also thought that this was true about some early cars not having the rear
valance painted black, but I was talking to Mike Cook, who was the public
relations manager for Triumph back then and I questioned him on this.  To the
best of his knowledge, there are no records of this, but he did say that if a
car was finished and as it came down the line if they were out of satin black,
the car went through without it.  This may explane some early cars not being
painted, as the satin black was probably just being used for the 6's.  Mine is
CC26629L and as far as I can tell it looks to have black originally.  It also
has the fender beading on the rear fenders.  This was done on early cars, but
not through the whole 69 run.
Anyway, that's enough of me rambling, just my 2 cents.
Best Regards
Jim Holewka
1969 TR6
1972 TR6