Re: Wheel tolerance

To: "Egil Kvaleberg" <egil@kvaleberg.no>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wheel tolerance
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 20:15:41 +0100

>  1. How much tolerance, with regards to sideways and lateral movement
>  along the wheel rim, should one allow? I mean I've heard a figure
>  of 1 mm, but it seems that this does not guarantee a "silent"
>  steering wheel.
>
>  2. How easy is it to correct? Bicycle wheels are easy enough to
>  straighten with good results, and since the angle between the
>  inwards and outwards pointing spokes is so much greater here, it
>  would seem that these wheels would be even more controllable.

Hi, Egil,

Some time ago, I bought a set of 15" wires (Dunlop) for a kit car. On one,
the centre was offset by more than 5mm. and the result was a constant
vibration no matter where I put the wheel on the car.

I don't know if this still applies but Dunlop wires used to be made in
India.

I went back with the wheels-having had to threaten the vendor with a nasty
write-up in my magazine 'Kit Car'. We had to sort through 25 wheels to find
good set of 5. I specified a rule of thumb 1mm. distortion and everything
was fine, until the paint fell off about a month later.

Assuming your wheels are brand new, I would take them back and complain. If
you try to true them up yourself, you will open up a whole can of worms.
Trueing wheels is a skilled job and I understand it's very easy to get it
all wrong.

Good Luck,
Dave Hill, UK.