Re: TR3 Steering

To: fergie@ntplx.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Steering
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 22:07:41 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-04 21:12:48 EDT, fergie@ntplx.net writes:

<< On both cars, but especially on the one I drove today,
 it seemed that the steering wheel was VERY hard to turn. Handled okay on
 the road, but maneuvering at slow (parking lot) speeds was quite
 difficult.
 Has memory faded, have I been driving power assisted cars for too many
 years, or is it really that hard to turn the wheel on a TR3? If it's not
 supposed to be that hard, what's anyone's best guess as to the reason
 for the difficulty? >>

If you can get the car moving, even a little it should steer much better.
When stationary, it's a nice workout of the upper body to steer. That's when
you appreciate the huge steering wheel.  I ran into a friend who runs for
exercise one morning when on a nice early AM drive in the TR and he said I
should get some exercise.  I said you've never driven a TR3 !!

If really stiff the trunnions might not have been lapped in when installed,
resulting in stiffness and 'memory steer' in cornering.  Otherwise, grunt a
little and enjoy driving one of the most fun sports cars ever made, the TR3 !!

Bob Paul