Re: My shift knob lost its shine!

To: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: My shift knob lost its shine!
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 13:02:15 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Anthony Rhodes wrote:

> My (apparently NLA) spherical shift knob has no shine.  I am
> wondering what I can do to polish it up nicely.  I am afraid that
> whatever I try will either further ruin the finish, or get fine particles
> imbedded in the plastic.

The local plastics & paint store has 3 levels of plastic polishes: I would
try the finest (used for polishing plastic eyeglass lenses) - I think it's
a liquid, so you shouldn't get particles trapped in the plastic.  (If they
do get it, they'll come out...)

If the plastic is crazed or badly cracked, you may do more harm than good,
though... might be best to find out *what* kind of plastic it is
(bakelite?), and get a safe polish for it.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm