Re: My shift knob lost its shine!

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: My shift knob lost its shine!
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 21:40:17 -0400
Message text written by Malcolm Walker
>Is it really soft?  (Can you make a mark in it with your fingernail?)  If
so, probably won't be able to polish out cracks.  Might be able to dip it
in something though, like a plastic that doesn't get brittle... ask the
plastics guys :-)
<

It is indeed soft.  I have dug my fingernail into the plastic.  In fact,
I used to rest my hand on the shifter, and between shiftsI dug my
3rd finger nail into it.  I never thought I left a mark, but when I
removed the knob, I see a huge rut that it left.

It does not have any cracks, etc.  Instead, the surface is no longer
shiny.  So I hope that it will not be that difficult to restore the proper
sheen.  I am almost tempted to use a car exterior polish on it!

-Tony