Clutch Replacement Questions (TR6)

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch Replacement Questions (TR6)
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 19:20:21 EDT
Hi,

Now that I am faced with the chore of replacing the throwout bearing and while
I'm at it, the clutch in my TR6, I have a few new questions.

First:  Does the transmission (with O.D.) need to come off from the top, or
has someone discovered a different way?

Second:  Are there any good tech writeups on this procedure that will help
make this project a little more like "a walk through the park" for a first
timer?  No I've never had the pleasure of doing a clutch job....

Third:  I noticed The Roadster Factory has a clutch kit that they sell for
just under $300 that is supposed have better longevity.  Is this worth the
price, or should I opt for a Borg Warner, or send it to the local clutch
rebuild shop?  Any testimonials out there?

Fourth:  Does anyone have any do's and don'ts that they can supply me with
before I put everything back together and find out that I should have done
things differently?  I only want to do this one time you know......

Fifth:  Is it possible that the screeching noise created when I press the
clutch in is something other than the throwout bearing and maybe I don't
really have to deal with all of this??  I test drove this car before I bought
it and everything was fine, then I trailer it home, take it for its first
drive, and all of a sudden I have this problem.

Scott Helms
Northern Indiana