Re: Clutch Replacement Questions (TR6)

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Replacement Questions (TR6)
From: lgmtr6@juno.com (Lawrence G Miceli)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:51:44 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Scott,

I'm no expert, but I have done the clutch on a number of TR6s.

>First:  Does the transmission (with O.D.) need to come off from the
>top, or has someone discovered a different way?

I'm not sure I understand this question. The trans comes out through the
interior. Remove the seats, the tunnel cover and you have great access to
everything.

>Second:  Are there any good tech writeups on this procedure that will
>help make this project a little more like "a walk through the park" for
>first timer?

The old Hades manual had a pretty good walk through of the procedure.
Really  taking it apart is  pretty straight forward. It's putting it back
together that's a pain. Get a clutch alignment tool.

>Third:  I noticed The Roadster Factory has a clutch kit that they sell
>for just under $300 that is supposed have better longevity.  Is this
worth
>the price, or should I opt for a Borg Warner, or send it to the local
>clutch rebuild shop?  Any testimonials out there?

This clutch set up is a result of failures of the original throw out
bearings occurring due to a change in the design. JK Jackson of
Tallahassee, FL and Dean Houston of Boca Raton came up with the
combination that TRF is now selling. After replacing two throwout
bearings in my TR6 over a two year period  I put the uprated kit in my
car and like it a lot. It's amazing to have a variable clutch in a TR,
not just an "on/off' switch.

>Fourth:  Does anyone have any do's and don'ts that they can supply me
>with before I put everything back together and find out that I should
have
>done  things differently?  I only want to do this one time you
know......

Don't forget to replace the pilot bushing while the trans is out, and
make sure to look at the release fork for cracks. Replace the release
fork pin. Don't re-use the old one. You may want to take it to a machine
shop and have a second pin installed.

>Fifth:  Is it possible that the screeching noise created when I press
>the clutch in is something other than the throwout bearing ...

I guess anything is possible, but it probably is the throwout. One club
member drilled a small hole in the bell housing, inserted a tube (like on
a WD-40 can and lubed the throw out with a combination of WD-40 and white
lithium. It worked for him, for a while... The problem is that you don't
really want to get grease on the clutch disc. While it is protected by
the pressure plate, this could cause more problems that its worth.

Larry Miceli
'76 TR6
'73 Stag
'66 Herald