Re: Generators

To: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Generators
From: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 20:05:00 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
KTRIUMPH@aol.com wrote:

> Hello listers
> I would be interested in knowing if there is some way to "bench-test"
> generators using a multi-tester and a drill/motor to spin the things.
> I have a number of generators in hand and wish to determine whether or not
> they are functional. If they are I would carry one with me on longer jaunts,
> just in case.
>
> On my way back from TRF Summer Party a few weeks ago, the generator on my TR3B
> suddenly died about 100 miles from home. I was fortunately, carrying a spare
> and got home OK. But it seems even new/rebuilt ones go out with alarming
> regularity, and I will definitely pack a spare in the future.
> Thanx in advance
>
> Ken Nuelle
> 58 TR3A
> 62 TR3B
> 64 TR4

Ken, check with your local auto parts store. They probably have a bench
test device that will tell you what shape it's in. I took a "lifetime
warrantee" alternator back when it was making strange noises and
headlights suddenly became "low voltage". They mounted it on the
machine, confirmed it was not what it should be and gave me a new one.
Don't know if the same device works with generators, but it's worth a
shot. Good luck.

Michael Ferguson