Dashpot oil answers

To: "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dashpot oil answers
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:58:21 -0400
It seems that the subject of dashpot oil might be a good one for the
FAQ archive.

I have a few responses about the oil.

Justin Wagner, speaking from experience recommends 3-in-1
oil for year round use.  He is in California now, and this experience
may not represent the conditions found in Canada (for instance).  He
says that 3-in-1 oil is about 20wt.

Other suggestions were for Moss Dashpot oil (at $8/per about 1oz.),
ATF oil (at about 5 to 10wt).  No one said that 20w40 (do they make 20w30?)
was a bad idea.  I was told that marvel mystery oil is too thin, but by my
shake test, it seems about the same viscosity as ATF oil.  That same
test made me think that ATF oil might be too thin.

Any other suggstions?
-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com