TR6: Timing woes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6: Timing woes
From: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 23:35:25 -0500
I just replaced the points, condenser, rotor button, distributor cap,and
spark plug wires. I also installed the Lucas Sports coil. I also changed
the spark plugs (Bosch Platinum)  and gapped them at .035 . Initially the
car idled better, but with time (an hour or two),it began to "miss" and run
very rough.

I thought the timing was off, so I set the timing dynamically at 4 degrees
ATDC. In order to achieve this I had to rotate the distributor clockwise as
far as it would go. Now it has no power, and misses until it stalls out.

Is the spark plug gap to open? Did I set the timing incorrectly? I read
that in order to get a hotter spark with a high voltage coil,  the gap
should be greater.

I also tried adjusting the mixture setting on the carbs but that did not
help. The car was running pretty good until now. I guess I should have left
it alone. I plan on rebuilding the carbs anyway, maybe that will help.

Any advice, other than take it to the profesionals?

Thanks,
Jack '74 TR6