Info on 2" SU carb conversion for TR6

To: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov (Bud Rolofson)
Subject: Info on 2" SU carb conversion for TR6
From: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:19:30 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Tall all interested;

        First of all I have to apologize for taking so long to get this info
out.
This modification started out as a simple quest to put 1 3/4" SU's on my 6.
 But a friend of mine suggested that I put the 2" version on to see how it
worked.  First the good news about this conversion.  The bolt patterns are
the same so there is no modifications that need to be done there, also if
you use a '72 or later manifold it can be bored out with no problems.  If
you have a early model manifold the story is different.  When you bore it
out to 2" you will break into the water jacket.  Once this occurs you will
need to have the hole you created welded over.  Reminder when boring the
two surfaces of the manifold aren't parallel.  To be save I then plugged
the jacket and ran a hose for the water pump bypass.  This actually serves
two purposes on my motor, not to heat the manifold and I don't have to
worry about the water jacket.  I got the carbs off a Rover 2000TC and the
needles and jets are perfect.  When you mount the carbs you will need a
piece of 5'16" bar stock to make a shaft that is the correct size to go
between them.  You will have to experiment here...I tried to use as many
stock parts as possible but since the rover had some usable parts I used
them.  There was some modification to the throttle linkage, install it
backwards and notch away part of it to allow for clearance.  also I had to
make a new bell crank of a little different design to actuate it correctly.
 If you had lots of time you could figure out how to make it cable
actuated.  All in all it took a weekend to get it right and running.  I
have drawings of the bell crank and I could take pictures of the assembly
if any one would like.  If you would like more specific details let me know.

aaron
'72 TR6