Re: early TR4

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: early TR4
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:19:59 -0500
Cc: "Bruce T. Clough" <cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil>, "Arthur M. Kelly" <ArthurK101@aol.com>
> Brad, hope you don't mind. I'm copying Art Kelly (VTR TR4 Consultant) and
> Bruce Clough (TRA TR4 "guru") on this response. FYI and perhaps your help,
> Art and Bruce! Thought you two might be interested in getting in on this
> discussion, as we're talking a pretty early car here -- something that
> always intrigues me!

Don't mind at all, the more the merrier!!

> I've got two TR4 commission plates; neither has a title with it though.
> One is CT17xxxLO or something like that -- a fairly early car I wish (20
> years later) I hadn't parted out. The other is one I bought thanks to a
> tip from Hugh McAleer from a used parts place in GA. It was CT113L. Got it
> for kicks, since my VTR membership is 113. :-) And no, I don't really want
> to part with it!

Not fair, first you build me up and then you say NOT available!!  Oh
well.

> I wonder, though, if BMIHT might be willing to reverse-track the
> commission number, given the body and engine numbers, which do seem close
> enough to match. With the proper commission number and a C note or so to
> one of those Title vendors (Broadway Title, Titles Unlimited, maybe
> others?), you could be back in business with a rare, early car correctly
> numbered.

Guess I could contact John Mac and see what he has to say about
that idea.  Would be a nice way to go.  That would make it inticing to
keep the car together instead of taking down for parts.

> Cool on both counts: coming to Maine and seeing yet another early TR4 live
> again. There are still too few nice TR4s around, compared to 2/3s and 6s!

The thing that surprised me the most was just how little rust there
really is on this car.  My guess is it wasn't a Nebraska car for very long.

The seats are not the original ones.  They don't have the springs and
horse hair padding.

It does have the aluminum blocks for the steering rack.

I don't feel the radiator is correct.  It doesn't have the hole and it
doesn't have the backwards facing tank like on the TR3's.

This could turn into a rather interesting discussion.  Thanks Andy.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
196? TR4                CT38888LO (Chassis # 0281CT, missing OD !)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Spring shackle problems)