Re: Insurance Question for Antique Autos

To: Michael Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance Question for Antique Autos
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:27:05 -0700
Cc: Steve Skolnik <sskolnik@erols.com>, Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Everyone I talked to required you to have a primary car covered by a regular
policy.  The Triumph is to be garaged and subject to use limitations (pleasure
and car events).  It should not be used for your commute or errands around
town.  How much this is enforced is based on your policy.

Mileage limits also vary by policy.  They either are a firm 2500, 3000, or 5000
miles per year or have a "guideline" of what is considered to be typical mileage
(2500+/- in my case).  When I applied for my policy, I started I was making a
3000+ mile trip to a show in Canada, making this year about 5000 miles.  My
agent told me the policy had guidelines, not limitations.  As long as I didn't
abuse them, I'd be covered.  Some policies exempt mileage for car club events
from the limitation.

Also, make sure you get agreed value.  In the event of a total loss, you know
what the settlement will be.  If you have an $8000 policy, that's what you'll
get.  There is no depreciation.  There is also no deductible on most policies.
You are just expected to fix the minor things yourself - too many claims and you
run the risk of not having your policy renewed.

Ask at your local club and see who they go with.  I pay $20 a year over the best
price policy for service from a local agent who has a very good relation with my
club.  My rate is 1/3 what is was on my regular policy for better coverage.  If
the guidelines are acceptable, go with the classic car policy.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6