Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family

To: reagntsj@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: TR4, Latest addition to the family
From: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:22:41 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Alan,

> Good points. I can tell you for sure that they had started using the 3
> aluminum finishing pieces at the top/rear of the cockpit and a 4th on top
> of the windshield by #17602, late '62. But, at that point the long-neck
> radiator was still being used. I am 99.9% certain these are all the
> original pieces still on my car. (just had radiator rebuilt, looks great)

I've identified mine to be steel on the windscreen frame top and
aluminum around the cockpit.    Sure hope I can find a long neck
radiator.  Do you know if its the same as a TR3 or was it modified
slightly?

> My hood is not original, has the later, long bulge that extends right to
> the rear edge. The early hoods also used flat bumpers at the rear corners
> of the engine compartment (these were originally on my car but didn't
> match up with the "cups" on the hood). Early cars, including mine, also
> did not have the "safety catch" on the hood latch.

One of the pads on my is flat and the other is missing all together.
Probably another indicattion that I should have the short hood bulge.

> Triumph made lots of design changes during the production runs, but not
> like some manufacturers... at one point we had 4 VW Jettas and Rabbits in
> the family, all within 3 years. Each had a totally different fuel
> injection system. One had a system that even the factory trained mechanics
> couldn't identify.

I rather enjoy tracking down the various design changes to these cars.
Kind of provides feeling of accomplishing something.

> I love working on computerless, injectionless, electronicless TR's! Give
> me a tractor motor any day.

You are definitely right about that.  I hate working on the newer
vehicles.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)

1964 Spitfire4           BFC25720L
1966 TR4A               CT72398L (Now a parts car)
196? TR4                CT38888LO (Chassis # 0281CT, missing OD !)
1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Spring shackle problems)