Powder coating

To: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Subject: Powder coating
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 19:58:36 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Alan Myers wrote:

> Now for a completely unrelated, kinda dumb question... does anyone know
> if it is possible to powder coat aluminum? My understanding of the
> process was that the powder is charged either positive or negative, the
> piece being paint is charged the opposite, powder is applied with the
> charge causing powder to cling to the piece, then the whole thing is
> baked in an oven to cure the finish and meld the powder. Since aluminum
> is non-magnetic, would it take the necessary charge?

The act of "charging" a given object, in this case, is not like charging a
battery.  It's a static charge.

When you rub a balloon in your hair, it becomes charged with static
electricity.  Then it will stick to things (like walls)

I think the only catch with powder-coating aluminum is that it might melt
if the oven gets too hot.  It shouldn't.

When the powder is ejected from a gun, the friction between the plastic
powder and the metal gun creates a static charge.  I'm not sure what kind-
but either the powder sheds electrons, or it collects them.

Probably the best way to get a "yes/no" answer would be to call up the
shop that does powdercoating and ask 'em.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm