bumper removal/installation (was Re-chrome Responses)

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: bumper removal/installation (was Re-chrome Responses)
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:31:29 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Danielson wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my question of re-chroming the bumpers
> vs buying new. The overwhelming response was to re-chrome for a variety of
> reasons including fit, quality, durability and appearance. The next trick is
> removing them. I've also been told it requires 3 hands, 9 inch double
> jointed fingers and an extendable eyeball for seeing what can't be seen!

I've removed and reinstalled my front bumper several times myself.  Undo the
side bolts and put a shop rag over each end of the bumper to avoid scratching
the paint.  Take a box or two and put it under one end of the bumper.  Loosen
the two center bolts.  Remove the bolt at one side and rest the bumper on the
boxes.  Remove the other bolt while holding the bumper.  Lift the bumper away.
Installation is the reverse.  Don't forget the rubber washers between the bumper
and body.  To make installation easier, use a tap and die to clean the threads
on the bumper and bolts.

Other ideas:  Loosen the bumper supports at the frame.  It gives extra play for
the front bolts.  Get all bolts started before tightening any.  If you lay on
your back with your head near the tire and feet out the front of the car, you
can reach through the small opening between the front valence and inner fender
to finger start the bolts.  As to new bumpers, I picked up a slightly damaged
front bumper (made in Taiwan) at Moss.  They describe it as being for 69-73
TR6.  It does not fit my 72 TR6.  The center brackets on the bumper and don't
quite line up, but can be forced.  The end bolts to the fender are off by more
than an inch.  Instead of drilling new holes, I put the old dented bumper back
on.  Looking at other years, 1973 bumpers look like the one I bought from Moss.
My current bumper matches that on other 72 TR6's.

Brian Kemp
72 TR6