Re: repost clutch and head question

To: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken), triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: repost clutch and head question
From: tomomalley@hey.net (Tom O'Malley)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 01:24:36 GMT
Ken writes...

>My new clutch plate has a sticker on it to the effect of "remove protective
>coating from spline and apply suitable lubricant.  None of the usual Triumph
>sources discuss lubricating the spline and I am hesitant to slope grease
>that closed to the clutch plate face.  Anyone care to suggest a "suitable"
>lubricant?

At one time Practical Classics recommended a bronze-based anti-seize
grease used "very sparingly" for this purpose.  A later article
retracted this in favor of the "special grease" packed with the clutch
kit.  Sure enuf,  one of the kits I bought in the last year or two
<for my Spit> had such a grease with specific instructions on where to
apply the grease.  <spline, throw-out sleeve, pivots, etc.> This was a
red grease, looking for all the world like the brake cylinder grease
supplied with Girling rebuild kits.

On my car, I applied a tiny amount to the spline, test fitted the
disc, then wiped down the whole affair to remove all but the smallest
residue left in the spline grooves.  YMMV.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley in Southbridge Massachusetts
'74, '77 Spits