Re: Carbs.....

To: "Alan Friday" <afridayfam@email.msn.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Carbs.....
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:22:05 -0400

Welcome Alan,

Yes SU carbs reach a point where they need rebuilding.  A frequent
fault is worn throttle shafts, allowing air to leak in behind the butterfly
valves.  Start the car and spray some carb cleaner on the ends of
the shafts; if it sucks in and the idle speed changes, you could do
with a rebuild.  Throttle shafts can be replaced, with oversized if
the carb body is worn, but in this case the body will need machining.
I think this job is best left to professionals.  Expect to pay around
$100 for the shafts and machine work if its done locally.  BTW
if the shafts are leaking and the car idles fine the mixture will be
about right at idle but will be too rich at speed.

You can pretty much do the rest of the carb rebuilding yourself,
its all remove and replace.  But if you're not so inclined, you can
get both carbs done for around $300.