Re: TR4/4A (was Re: Battle of the Brits)

To: ArthurK101@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR4/4A (was Re: Battle of the Brits)
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:17:17 -0400
Cc: philpatt@net-link.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

ArthurK101@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-09-14 15:48:03 EDT, pjthomas@ntplx.net writes:
>
> > TR4A'a have the chrome lamps on the front fenders.
>
> Right, and a different grille, front badge and top (hood for you Brits), as
> well as a much bigger radiator.  No TR4's have IRS but some (not all) TR4A's
> have it. Cheers.

When you say top, do you mean the drop top or the bonnet (hood to Detroit's).
I'm not sure, but I believe the TR4 (not A) has a more rounded bonnet.  TR4A's
also have a wider track and 60 spoke wheels instead of the 48 narrower wheels of
the TR4 (not A).

Of course you have to have a keen eye to detect these differences at 75 MPH.
The front fender is dead giveaway.  If it does not have the lamps, it is a TR4.
If it has the lamps but not the TR250 stripe, it is a TR4A.  Of course, many
TR250's have been repainted and do not have the stripe.

Anyway, the TR4's, TR4A's and TR250's fine are all fine examples of British
iron.

Peter Thomas