damper oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: damper oil
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 02:15:55 EDT
<<I've been running Castrol Syntec 5w50 full synthetic oil in the engine and
in
the dashpots.  My thinking was that a multiple viscosity oil gives you "thin"
oil when it's
cold outside and "thick" oil when it's hot outside>>
I was told the opposite - by a seemingly experienced dashpot pro - that you
want thicker oil in the damper in winter resulting in a longer phase of
enriched mixture for the cold weather and thinner oil for summer resulting in
shorter enriched mixture phase in the hot weather...checking my own carbs -
they never get that hot making me think 'multivis' doesn't ever go into effect
anyway - now I'm using '3in1' 20wt. (blue can).
Carl
'64 TR4