Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test
From: sanborn@net1plus.com
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:55:28 -0400

I have solved the advance timing on my TR4... but I beleive that problem was
just calling attention to a bearing problem.  The bearing problem could have
been caused by years of driving with the detonation problem by the PO. Either
way... I have an engine that VERY sensitive to timing and it makes a very nasty
marbles sound before the oil gets up to the bearings when it is started cold.
Once the oil is up.... there are no bearing symptoms except the timing advance
sensitivity.

Does any know about some standard test procedure for testing whether your
bearings need replacing?  I was on the TRF tech line and the guy talked about
this but never explained it.  He spoke as if you pulled the pan and slipped in
some sort of plastic shim... I really didn't get the jist of it.

Also... does anyone know of a source of advice on TR4 engine rebuild procedure.
 There is an MGB video available but can't find anything in the how-to style on
TR2/3/4 engines.  I know how to do a generic rebuild and have direct
experience... but each engine has its unique quirks.  One thing I would love to
have is "rebuild Parts List"

Can you guys that have do share your experience.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L  Groton,MA
sanborn@net1plus.com

Sent by NET1Plus WebMail