Re: Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuilding- Bearing Test
From: John Middlesworth <jape@email.unc.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:03:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
The plastic shim you mention is probably a product called Plastigage
(sp?).  It's a little thread of soft plastic that gets smashed between the
bearing and the crank.  You do this by pulling off the bearing cap,
putting on a 1/4 inch piece of Plastigage on the bearing surface then
replacing the cap and tightening it down.  The amount that it's spread out
after you pull the cap off and look at it tells you the bearing clearance.
I don't think it could be done correctly while the engine is in the car,
given that the weight of the crank would be pressing downward in the
direction you're checking the clearance.

Your easiest indicator of the need for new bearings is low oil pressure,
but even before that, you could take off the bearing cap and just look at
the surface of the bearing.  If it's scratched or worn, it needs to be
replaced.

John Middlesworth
1966 TR4A