RE: TR6 engine speeds

To: peb3@cornell.edu
Subject: RE: TR6 engine speeds
From: Scott.Mackay@intl.sematech.org
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:17:19 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Interesting Phil,

Had a similar problem with a '6 I recently purchased.  First, I'd check the
speedo.  At the bottom of the gauge face, there are a set of numbers.  It should
read something like 'S/N 6411/02.8 1120'.  The last four numbers are the number
of turns/mile for the unit, the first numbers are the Smith's part number.  If
you have a different set of numbers, I claim that you have the wrong speedo for
you car.  This was the case with my '6; I had a 1000 turns/mile unit and my
odometer and speed was off by 15-20%.  Since your odometer is accurate, I would
lay odds that you have correct speedo and the incorrect tach.  I assume that the
tach has a similar set of numbers on the face, but don't know what they are.
I'll check at home tonight and see what they say. If this is the case, the
errors should be very linear.

Scott Mackay
Austin, TX