Re: RHD TR3A

To: rtriplett@bjservices.com
Subject: Re: RHD TR3A
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:36:03 -0400 ()
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Just my own thoughts --

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998 rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:

> ...I recently located a 59 TR3A with right hand drive, and was
> wondering if this adds much to the value of the car.  I know
> a rhd TR is pretty rare in the States...

I suspect any extra value would be in "novelty"; said novelty of a RHD
car might wear off pretty quickly in modern traffic, especially
overtaking/passing other cars. As an occasional, primarily "country back
roads" car, it might not be so bad.  Where RHD might add to the value is
in "repatriating"  the car. We got a large percentage of production here
as opposed to the home market. Lots of folk import and convert U.S. cars
back to RHD, so this one would be all set to go over there!

> seller wants $4K for it, and though I haven't seen it yet, sounds high for
> an unrestored TR3.  I assume the usual rust, though she says it is straight
> body and "ran when I stored it several years ago"! Any ideas from
> experienced owners?

$4K could be high, but it could be the bargain of the century if it's
really a well-maintained, unmolested, original car. Let us know what's it
is like when you do get to see it!

--Andy