ZS carbs & TR6 Rocker Cover

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ZS carbs & TR6 Rocker Cover
From: Rengrave@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 00:27:47 EDT
Thanks to everyone for responding to my ZS carb rebuild questions. I have just
received the rebuild kit from TRF today and I will be rebuilding the carbs
this weekend and will hopefully have them back on quickly so I can drive to
work next week.
I am also cleaning and painting misc parts under the hood to clean up the
overall appearance of the engine bay. One item I am painting is the Rocker
Cover which I had chrome plated 12 years ago. After sitting in storage for 10
years, it has developed pits of rust which I cannot remove (%@#$!! I should
have left it original (painted silver). I have also had points taken away from
me at a resent car show due to the chrome not being "original" to the car
@#%!!) :( .
I have always kept original parts and paint color on my car, so I decided to
have the Rocker Cover chrome plating removed by a chrome shop. They dipped it
in one bath to remove the chrome and another to remove the nickel, then they
bead blasted the whole cover to give me a clean matte surface ready to accept
paint.
My question is:
Can anyone tell what kind of paint (I know it should be silver and should
match my air cleaner housing) should be used on the Rocker Cover?
I have purchased some high heat (1500 F) silver paint but cannot seem to find
a high heat primer.
Do I need to prime when using high heat silver paint ? The can tells me that
the paint must be cured in an oven at 600 F or can be cured by running the
engine at operating temperature for a 30 min. I can't find any mention on the
can about priming the surface before painting.
Has anyone painted their Rocker Cover ? If so, how well did the paint hold up,
is it peeling? How about Powder Coatings, do they provide a high heat coating
that will last?

Thanks,
Wayne from Massachusetts
1973 TR6 Mallard/New Tan