Re: TR6 Won't Start

To: Cliff Davies <ads.holzher@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 Won't Start
From: "M. Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:07:54 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Cliff Davies wrote:

> Took the 6 on a 500 mile trip last week-end. Rolled in the drive Sunday
> night on fumes. Tried to start last night but wouldn't fire, added gas
> first logical step, still no luck, the dashpots are a little low could
> this be a factor ? if so can I top up with blue 3-in-1 even though
> wharever is in there is red? This is my first LBC please excuse my
> ignorance. Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Cliff

For starters, what is in your dashpots is either automatic transmission fluid
or Marvel
Mystery oil.  Stick a paper towel in the dashpot to remove the remnants and top
up with
either.  Level is correct when you feel resistance on the oil damper stick
about a 1/4
inch before it hits the plastic cap hits the top of the dashpot.

But alas, low dashpot oil should have little effect on your car's not starting.
 Can you
see gas in the fuel filter?  Do you know if fuel is reaching the carbs?

Generally, however, a car that won't turn over has an ignition problem -- i.e.,
something amiss with the plugs, wires, distributor or coil.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6