Re: Lucas at his best!

To: "Malcolm Walker" <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Lucas at his best!
From: "unicorn7" <unicorn7@mail.icnet.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:50:20 -0500charset="US-ASCII"
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Having had similar fun and games with the switches in my '69 GT6+ (DPO had
it sitting outside in Oklahoma for 6 years, and god only knows for how many
in California), I can tell you that with a little TLC the switches can be
***carefully*** dismantled, cleaned and reassembled, and will most likely
work, providing you with years of that world famous LUCAS reliability.  I
dismantled mine using a jeweler's screwdriver to gently pry them apart, and
then a combination of a pencil eraser (pink, as found on wooden pencils) and
400 grit paper to clean the contacts.  This worked fine on the hazard
switch, the master light switch, the high/low beam switch (on the steering
column) and the rear window defrost switch (those are all the ones that were
non-functional) be sure to use a lube designed for electrical circuits
afterward as this not only lubes the contacts, it will hold off the
corrosion for a while, also make sure the blade connectors fit snugly,
lightly recrimp as required

Good luck
Dave Korzun
'69 GT6+