TR6: stumbling under load, Who is up to the challenge?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6: stumbling under load, Who is up to the challenge?
From: "Jack R. Clark" <drjclark@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:17:10 -0500
Listers,

I have a continuing problem. I am still getting some
stumbling when accelerating hard, or accelerating
 in high gear at lower rpms. This only happens after
 the car has warmed up to top operating temp.

The following is a list of what I have done:
'74TR6  68,700 miles
1. Replaced points, condenser, plugs (bosch platinum),
   plug wires, Lucas sports coil, (connected without
   the ballast resistor in effect), plug gap at .035
2. Rebuilt carbs, Grose jets, air flow equalized,
   mixture a little rich.
3. Using SU-Zenith Damper oil from Victoria British
4. Timing using strobe is at 10 degrees BTDC with
   vacuum retard removed and 3-4 degrees ADTC with the
   vacuum connected.
5. Replaced all major vacuum lines

Observations:
a. when rebuilding carbs, one Temp Compensator plunger
   moved freely, the other would move, but tended to bind
   along the walls of the TC housing. I did not touch the
   adjusting nut! Just cleaned and replaced.
b. Again, no problem initially, only when normal temp is
   reached
c. Idle is a little rough, just a jerk every now and then.
d. Runs at speed better than it ever has, pulls up to
   100 mph with more to spare,  and I can drive in a way
   as to prevent the stumbling, but I would like to fix
  the problem.
e. Noticed that no vacuum in the line  coming from the
   thermostatic switch  on the radiator hose(clogged up?),
   so I connected directly to the small line feeding the
   switch. Vacuum retard works well, but do not know if
   the vacuum is too strong, or too weak.
   Since I have replaced everything else, I feel it may
   be the Temp compensators. Or is it the thermostatic switch? (none    of
the big three have them in stock) What do you think?

Who ever can figure this one out is definitely the King of e-mail diagnosis!

Thanks
Jack '74 TR6 CF23352