Re: Lucas at his best!

To: walker05@camosun.bc.ca, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Lucas at his best!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 21:17:34 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-18 18:41:42 EDT, walker05@camosun.bc.ca writes:

> I have a feeling one of the gizzies that make the switch go "click" has
>  busted and is fouling up the works.  Can I rebuild my headlight switch?
>  Or service it at all?  Should I try to get a 'murikan one from the scrap
>  yard (temporary... ha!) to get lights so I can drive it next week?  I
>  don't want to shell out the $ for a proper "lucas" switch, especially if
>  they're prone to failure (are they?)

Malcolm,

It may be possible to rebuild your headlight switch, depending, of course, on
what's wrong with it. The nice thing about trying it is that the switch
function and operation is obvious when you have the switch apart, ie, it will
be a mechanical problem rather then electrical (other than cleaning the
contacts, which can be done with a mild abrasive). Give it a try, you have
nothing to lose. If it is repairable, you can fix it; if not, it will have to
be scrapped anyway.

OTOH, you may want to go with a GM, Ford, or Chrysler switch. I have a GM
switch in my TR302. One knob on this switch controls the parking light switch,
headlight switch, dash light dimmer, plus an interior courtesy light switch.
An extra bonus is the 20 amp circuit breaker for the headlights (you'll need
to use the existing fuse for the parking lights).

If you should decide to spring for a new Lucas replacement, they are just as
reliable as any GM, Ford, or Chrysler switch, and should give you a long
service life. As a matter of fact, IMHO, the Lucas column mounted switch used
in the TR6 is of better overall quality than the new GM I'm using (I think the
TR4 uses the same switch, but I'm not home so I can't check it out).

Dan Masters,
Atlanta, GA for the weekend, spoiling my grandson again.