Spitfire: Somewhat urgent help needed

To: Spitfires Mail List <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>, Spitfire-Enthusiast Mail List <spitfire-enthusiast@makelist.com>, Triumphs Mail List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire: Somewhat urgent help needed
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 02:19:06 -0500
Greetings...

Well, it's late and I thought after installing a new radiator my
troubles would be gone for a bit. Wrong! (read my signature)

I'm hearing some clunking, knocking and grinding from what sounds like
the area of the differential...

We drove out to the suburbs of Chicago and after exiting the
expressway/freeway, whenever I accelerated or decelerated, *clunk*
*grind* *grind *clunk* - not the single *clunk* like a u-joint.
My fear is some of the minor smoke was not little bits of brake or
clutch fluid, but gear oil from the differential.

We left the car in the 'burbs for fear of messing something up further.
Was this too conservative? Am I wirrying too much? It sounded kind of
bad.

Hopefully someone can tell me...

   What could this noise be?

   If it is, in fact, the differential what is the likelyhood I'll need
   to replace the whole thing ($1000 is not money I want to or can spend
   at the moment.

   Any advice for troubleshooting this problem, removing the
   differential.

Thank you in advance for your quick answer...I'm renting a trailer in
the morning to transport the bugger and will have about 4 days to fix.

Vic

--
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 <*> http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/

 "There will come a time when you think everything is finished.
                   That will be the beginning."

                         (Louis L'Amour)