What's this?

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: What's this?
From: Cliff Pike <cpike@mgl.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:12:38 -0400
Both my '58 TR3A under rebuild, and the spare body I have to fit on it,
have a rubber bellows kind of thing mounted on the inside of the pocket
where the brake and clutch master cylinders mount. It has a small tube
which protrudes into the engine compartment between the master
cylinders, and when pushed it emits a blast of air. This bellows is
located above the pedals about where ones knees might be when sitting in
the drivers seat, under the instrument panel. I'm guessing that this
might be a windshield washer pump of some kind. There are no other parts
connected to it.  I was at the Bronte show on Saturday, and none of the
TR3 owners I spoke to there knew what this might be. On the cars that I
could see there, none had this fitted.
Any guesses?
Cliff Pike
Guelph