Re: Virus Warning (non TR)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, reagntsj@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: Virus Warning (non TR)
From: "Frank Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 20:02:56 PDT
I work for a very large company, which has another very large company
taking care of all our computers.  One group within handles nothing but
viruses, so I tend to trust what they put out on bulletins within the
company.

BUDDYLST.ZIP and BUDDYLST.ZIP are on a long list of hoaxes.  They tell
us that most virus "warnings" are just hoaxes (a hoax is a lot easier to
create than a real virus.)  The following is one of the more current
lists of hoaxes.

     Recent hoax virus names include:
     3b Trojan (alias PKZIP Virus)
     A MOMENT OF SILENCE
     AOL4FREE Virus Hoax *
     Baby New Year Virus Hoax
     Anti-CDA
     Buddylst.zip
     Budsaver.exe (alias BUD FROGS SCREEN SAVER)
     Death 69
     Death Ray
     Deeyenda
     EYES.EXE
     FATE 3.0
     Free Money
     Ghost
     Good Times
     Good Times Spoof
     Hacker Riot
     Hackingburgh
     Hairy Palms Virus Hoax
     Independence
     Internet Cleanup Day
     Irina
     Join the club
     Join the crew
     Make Money Fast
     Matra R-440 Crotale
     Microsoft Home Page
     (New) Millenium Time Bomb
     NaughtyRobot
     Penpal Greetings
     Red Alert
     Returned or Unable to Deliver
     SHEEP.EXE
     The A.I.D.S Virus **
     Time Bomb
     Valentine's Greetings
     Yukon3u.mp
     Win A Holiday
     World Domination Hoax
     (New) Very Cool

     Recent chain letter names include:
     America Online Upgrade
     AOL V4.0 Cookie
     A Little Girl Dying
     Anthony Parkin
     Bill Gates Hoax
     Francesca
     Jessica Mydek
     Kidney Harvest
     PBS and NPR - Petition
     Tickle Me Elmo

     * Special note: AOL4FREE.COM is a Trojan Horse. Trojan horse
     programs are often confused with computer viruses.  Because
     they don't replicate and spread, they are not viruses.  A
     Trojan horse is a program that appears to serve some useful
     purpose or to provide entertainment.  This guise encourages
     you to run it.  But, like the Trojan horse of old, it also
     serves a covert purpose which may be to damage files or
     plant a virus on your computer.

I realize this isn't "TR" releated, but thought it help a lot of people.

Frank Crowe
Carpinteria, CA
59 TR3 TS55332L