Propshaft U-Joint: Should I?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Propshaft U-Joint: Should I?
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 07:20:55 -0700 (PDT)
Can anyone give me their .02 on this dilemma:

After rebuilding the entire rear end from diff out on my '70 GT6+, I
notice a high freq. vibration from about 40 which gets worse on up to
80. The u-joint at the diff end of the propshaft seems slightly loose,
but there is no "clunking" yet (I know, shoulda' done along with the
rest of 'em.)

But see, I would really like to drive to English day at the races
(about 160 mi-just to watch, not race!) but am concerned about doing
damage to the rest of the drivetrain. I just don't have the time to
replace the thing this week!

In general, will driving with this sort of vibration cause immediate
damage? I promise I'll replace the offending joint--maybe even balance
the propshaft--yet this fall!

TIA,
John Donohoe
'70 GT6+ KC81718